Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My amazing transformation


I have always considered myself a shy, somewhat reserved person who likes to play it safe and never takes risks. I like to stay in the background and am sometimes uncomfortable talking to people one on one. (Yet I can stand up in front of a thousand people and speak just fine.)

I attribute a lot of my shyness to being ill so much in my life. I was in and out of the hospital 5 times before I was 2. I suffered from severe migraines through childhood and young adulthood. I was in and out of school during jr high and high school. I missed out a lot on the social stuff and struggled to fit in sometimes.

My doctor's told me that I had Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome. I guess that explained why I was so tired I could barely lift my arms, and why I was always getting sick. The doctor said I would not have a normal life. I wouldn't graduate from high school, go to college, serve a mission, get married or have children. I was shocked that he would say that me, I was only 15!

I've always been stubborn, and I was determined I would prove him wrong on every point. I worked my butt off and managed to graduate from high school with my class, even though some of the teachers and principals said it couldn't be done. I went to college and graduated with an associates degree. I served a mission in Japan. That was one of the hardest things I ever did. I was pretty much sick the whole time and my body barely survived all the physical activity and long hours. But I did it...barely.


Then I got married and I had 2 kids. It has NOT been easy for my husband. Since we were married I've had surgery 5 times, been on bed rest twice, had cancer and went through chemo and radiation; not to mention the majority of the time, I don't have much energy and rarely feel good. What can I say, the man is a saint!

There have been many times in my life when I've wondered "why is this happening to me?" "Why can't I be like everyone else?" Of course I wasn't appreciating the fact that everyone else was suffering in their own private way as well.

I'd given up on those silly questions and come to terms with my reality. I had finally accepted that this is just how it was and I had to deal with it. Now suddenly things have changed.

Did I mention I'm a sugar addict. Yeah, I used to collect candy corn bags. I love candy, milky ways, 3 musketeers, hundred grand....all kinds of candy that is just terrible for me. I started taking diabetes medication a few months ago because my body isn't making enough insulin (probably because of my years of sugar abuse)

2 1/2 years ago, my husband was introduced to a network marketing company that made a healthy chocolate drink called Xocai (sho-sigh). We live in Utah Valley, the capital of network marketing companies and we have been approached a zillion times. My dad did every network marketing company in the 80's and 90's and never made ANY money. So I was not happy that Munro was so interested in trying this. But being the supportive wife that I am, I LET him do it.

1 month later I was diagnosed with cancer. He became to busy taking care of me to do much with his business. Still, I drank the chocolate drink because it was loaded with antioxidants which fight free radical damage. I was having plenty of damage from chemo and radiation, I figured I might as well do something to combat that. Don't want to get cancer again from chemo.

I was told from other cancer survivors that it can take up to a year to feel normal after chemo. I felt normal in 1 month, but didn't think much of it at the time.

I stopped taking the chocolate towards the end of treatment. It was expensive and we had some huge medical debt to take care of.

2 years went by and then Munro learned that his friend who had introduced him to the product was doing so well, he had quit his day job and was doing Xocai full time. That's Munro's dream, to not work for a boss and have his own job. So he decided to start building the business for real this time.

We started getting the product again, and now there's 6 different kinds of healthy chocolate, not just the drink. There's yummy cookies, protien bars, nuggets of chocolate and these yummy orange chocolates that I just can't get enough of. I couldn't stop eating the stuff, it tasted so good!


In 2 weeks time, I was off my diabetes medication because the chocolate was helping my body regulate the insulin. Then, after 3 months of eating the stuff faithfully (how could I Not!?) I started to have energy...and I mean a crazy amount of energy. I have never experienced feeling good all day. I wake up and just feel great. I'm excited, I'm happy, I can play with my kids. I can do all kinds of things I've always wanted to do, but never felt good enough to. I put my kids in the bike stroller and pull 100 lbs up hills and everything!

I can not even begin to help you understand what this means to me. Maybe if I was missing a leg and then regrew it, that would be cooler. But this has seriously changed my life. And it's chocolate!

I'm so grateful for this opportunity to finally feel good. I can tell you I have never been so supportive of my husband in one of his "crazy business ideas" than I am of this. Shy little me is out talking to complete strangers about how great healthy chocolate is and that they have to try it or I'll just cry. I'm not embarassed, I'm not uncertain. I feel totally confident and liberated.

My husband is blown away. He can't believe the change I've gone through, physically, socially and emotionally. And our business is growing. We're actually making money. Who'd have thought it was possible!? NOT ME. But it's happening.

So I just wanted to explode this blog with all my energy and happiness and just put it out there that just cause you've dealt with a trial or challenge for a long time and have accepted that it will always be that way.....things could still change. You just have to be open to the possibility.

Oh, and if you're interested in the chocolate check out www.thinkxocai.com. I'm sure my hubby will appreciate that little plug. :)

4 comments:

Naomi Hanks said...

Well Rae, you finally posted something on your blog! Yea for you! I love your story and am so happy that you are feeling so good! I really hope your business does great and Munro can finally quit his day jobs! :)

Oh, and I can't believe how much that picture of you looks like Mason and Maile! I guess they are your kids after all!

Beccarigg said...

After I read that I thought, "I'll have what she's having!" It's good to hear you're doing so well in so many ways. I'm happy for you! Keep eating that chocolate!

Kris said...

That's so awesome. You are amazing!

M. Fritze said...

I just love you Rae! I love your sense of humor and comments about life that are just NOT the ordinary. I love you in my life and count you my sister and friend. I am so proud of you and your transformation... it is inspiring.
P.S. you look SO great!!