Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Family-The Ultimate Team

by Rachel Murdock

Not too long ago, our little family went on a family bike ride on the Provo river trail. It was a gray overcast day. There was a fire burning not too far away and ash was raining down on us. Mason rode in front, followed by me, then Maile, and then Munro with the bike stroller hauling Malia. As Mason biked just ahead of me, we entered a portion of the trail that had an umbrella of trees over us. There were no leaves…it was just an eerie, almost spooky atmosphere. Mason’s head sunk down into his shoulders, then he glanced back at me and said,

“I’m glad I have a family, otherwise I’d be really scared right now.”

Those simple and heartfelt words caused an immediate lump to form in my throat and brought tears to my eyes. Indeed, this life would be a lot scarier if we didn’t have our families.

We had a discussion about families in our Family Home Evening last week. I was explaining to our kids how families are like bricks, and with them we can build a building. If you have a bunch of weak bricks, the building can fall down easily in an earthquake. But if the bricks are strong and the building is built to high standards, then it will stand no matter what opposing forces come against it. The bricks are families, and the building is society.

We have been taught that the family is the most important and basic unit of our society. Satan knows this and has focused his opposition against families. As they crumble or are weakened, society becomes more vulnerable to opposing forces.

I urged my kids to be aware when Satan is "attacking" our family. Little things like quarreling, ingratitude, selfishness, pride and lack of kindness among siblings puts team members at odds with each other. I told them that our family is a team and together we can stand strong and face all the challenges of life. But if we turn against each other and fight with our team members, then it makes our team weaker and vulnerable.

That made a lot of sense to them...for about five minutes, before they started arguing again. Our family is a work in progress. But I will never stop fighting for my family and strengthening our defenses.

As I've grown up, moved on, and started a family of my own, it has been harder to remember that those little brothers and sisters I grew up with are still part of my stewardship. Yes, they have their own life now and their own challenges. But we ARE “our brother’s keeper.” We should look out for one another and give support and help during difficult times. Adulthood is much more challenging and full of tougher obstacles then childhood. If we didn’t have our families, OH, how scary this life would be!

I watch the news every night and am amazed at the natural disasters, political unrest, attacks on our freedom, moral decay and overall wickedness of the world. I worry about the challenges my children, nieces and nephews will and are facing. It’s a different world from just when I was a teenager.

This life is like a maze filled with challenges, danger and choices. If we make a wrong turn, we can find ourselves in a very dark and lonely place. I'm glad we don't have to get through the maze alone. Sometimes (ok, most of time) I have a lot of pride. I feel like I'm completley capable and armed with enough knowledge to find my own way through the course. But that's not how it was meant to be played. We have a loving Heavenly Father who gives us guidance, and best of all a team to help us along.

I'm so grateful for my family, for the love and support they have always given me. I'm grateful for parents and siblings who sometimes told me things I didn't want to hear, but spoke out of love. The warnings and lectures I've received have saved me from so much grief. I love my team and all my team mates!

Amongst so much chaos, confusion and wickedness in the world today, All I can say is repeat the words of my wise son:

"I'm so glad I have a family, otherwise I'd be really scared right now."

1 comments:

Tau said...

Thanks for sharing Rach!